Series 8 - Maps
This series comprises manuscript maps relating particularly to McLean's official land purchase activities and other Government activities, as well as his private land dealings.
The maps relating to McLean's official business include block maps, reserves, proposed roads or railways, and more general district maps. The maps relating to his own purchases concern his main property, the Maraekakaho estate in Hawke's Bay.
The maps are physically housed in the Turnbull Library's Cartographic Collection, away from the rest of the McLean papers, which are part of the manuscripts collection.
There are 50 items in this series.
This map from the McLean papers documents military positions on the Waitara River in Taranaki, before and during the Taranaki war of 1861. It shows redoubts and rifle pits, some topography and a road or track. Pencil annotations are as follows: 'cultivations destroyed by the troops 12 Feb 1861', and at Pukerangiora 'rebels' and 'Arei'.
Redoubts near the Waitara river. MapColl-832.2hkc//Acc.3314
Pen and ink on paper, 19 x 13 cm.
Alexander Turnbull Library
- Donald McLean, 1820-1877
- Scope and Contents
- Arrangement and Custodial History
- Series 1 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in English)
- Series 2 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in Māori)
- Series 3 - Donald McLean's Letter Books
- Series 4 - Drafts and fragments of letters written by Donald McLean
- Series 5 - Donald McLean's diaries and notebooks
- Series 6 - Telegrams to and from Donald McLean
- Series 7 - Donald McLean's official papers
- Series 8 - Maps
- Series 9 - Letters written to Donald McLean by family members
- Series 13 - Other papers
- Transcriptions and Translations