Series 13 - Other papers
This series comprises various items including research notes on Māori topics, invitations and other ephemera from McLean's social and political life, and a file about his death.
The file of Māori research notes complements similar material scattered through McLean's diaries and notebooks, and shows his interest in Māori language, history and traditions. The research helped him in his official duties, but the notes also reveal a fascination with Māori history and culture that went beyond the purely pragmatic.
The invitations and other ephemera in this series are the kind of material that rarely survives. But McLean was always reluctant to throw things away. They have research interest as evidence of the social activities of a man like McLean, giving further context to the more serious affairs of Government and business documented in other series.
There are 66 items in this series.
- Donald McLean, 1820-1877
- Scope and Contents
- Arrangement and Custodial History
- Series 1 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in English)
- Series 2 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in Māori)
- Series 3 - Donald McLean's Letter Books
- Series 4 - Drafts and fragments of letters written by Donald McLean
- Series 5 - Donald McLean's diaries and notebooks
- Series 6 - Telegrams to and from Donald McLean
- Series 7 - Donald McLean's official papers
- Series 8 - Maps
- Series 9 - Letters written to Donald McLean by family members
- Series 13 - Other papers
- Transcriptions and Translations