This new website presents the digitised Manuscripts & Pictorial collections of the Alexander Turnbull Library, including 100,000 pages from the papers of Sir Donald McLean and more than 60,000 New Zealand and Pacific images.
We hope you will find it simple to use, powerful, fast and engaging.
To get started, just type a word or two in the search box and click Go.
You can narrow in on just the results you're looking for by using the filters on the right hand side of the search results.
Each item in the results can be downloaded as a PDF file for your convenience. Any transcription or translation will be presented alongside the original. This format is ideal for printing. Note that if the item is more than 10 pages long, it can be downloaded in 10-page sections.
Fly through a 3 dimensional wall of results using CoolIris (available for Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari on Mac and Windows).
Bookmark your searches and the items you've found to come back to later, or to refer others to.
- Donald McLean, 1820-1877
- Scope and Contents
- Arrangement and Custodial History
- Series 1 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in English)
- Series 2 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in Māori)
- Series 3 - Donald McLean's Letter Books
- Series 4 - Drafts and fragments of letters written by Donald McLean
- Series 5 - Donald McLean's diaries and notebooks
- Series 6 - Telegrams to and from Donald McLean
- Series 7 - Donald McLean's official papers
- Series 8 - Maps
- Series 9 - Letters written to Donald McLean by family members
- Series 13 - Other papers
- Transcriptions and Translations