Use filters to refine your search results one step at a time, until you have found just the results you are looking for.
When you start your search by typing one or two words and hitting Search, it's likely you'll find too many results. Searching for just Wellington, for instance, will return many thousands of results.
The Filters section on the right-hand side of the results page shows all the ways you can narrow your search down to return just what interests you. For example:
- filter by a particular decade, and only see results from that period
- filter by a person to see only results relating to them
- filter by a place to only see results relating to it
The number of results you will see when you select a particular filter is presented in parentheses after the filter
- eg 1860 (90)
- eg Te Kooti (139)
You can implement as many filters as you like, by checking their tick-boxes.
To remove a filter, uncheck its tick box.
To start a new search without any filters, use the search box in the top right corner of the screen.
- Donald McLean, 1820-1877
- Scope and Contents
- Arrangement and Custodial History
- Series 1 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in English)
- Series 2 - Letters written to Donald McLean (in Māori)
- Series 3 - Donald McLean's Letter Books
- Series 4 - Drafts and fragments of letters written by Donald McLean
- Series 5 - Donald McLean's diaries and notebooks
- Series 6 - Telegrams to and from Donald McLean
- Series 7 - Donald McLean's official papers
- Series 8 - Maps
- Series 9 - Letters written to Donald McLean by family members
- Series 13 - Other papers
- Transcriptions and Translations