Object #1027288 from MS-Papers-0032-0125

6 pages written 3 Aug 1850 by Henry Halse in New Plymouth District to Sir Donald McLean

From: Papers relating to provincial affairs - Taranaki. Inspector of police, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0125 (46 digitised items). No Item Description

A transcription/translation of this document (by ATL) appears below.

Download alow-resolution PDF or high-resolution PDF

English (ATL)

COPY. New Plymouth

August 3rd. 1850.


I beg to forward the Report for the fortnight ending this day:-

July 21st.

Sunday Parade at 10 o'clock.

July 22nd.

I posted letter to you, with enclosures.

Overland Mail left for Wellington.

July 23rd.

A party of Mokau natives came into town.

July 24th.

Honi Ropiha came to Barracks. He had seen E Waka about Wiremu te Ha, the native formerly occupying a portion of Major Lloyd's section at Wairehaiti. E Waka said the land in question had been given to him and Pita, by you.

July 25th.

Medland on duty at the Police Office, The rest of the Force in town, assembled at Barracks.

I ordered, on account of some Waitara natives, thirteen pounds' worth of bread, for the forthcoming feast.

Richard Scanlyn, the younger, fell off a cart, and broke his collar-bone. He was taken to the Hospital.

July 26th.

Force in town, engaged cleaning arms at the Police Office.

July 27th.

General muster and drill. Tamati Waka came to Barracks.

Overland Mail from Wellington. Received one Gazette and two newspapers for you.

July 28th.

Sunday Parade.

The "Governor Grey", Watt, from Wanganui; ballast.

July 29th.

Medland on duty at Police Office. The rest at Barracks.

Overland Mail from Auckland, I received one Gazette and newspaper for you.

Wiremu Kingi and a party of his people came into town and carried away about £16 worth of bread, for which cash was paid.

I posted a letter to you.

July 30th.

Two of the Police about town, after cattle.

Overland Mail left for Auckland.

Te Munu came to Barracks. He was not satisfied with being allowed to remove his hut and kumeras from W. Henwood's section at Moturoa, but wanted the land on which his hut stands. I told him it was not likely the owner would consent to his wishes. He promised to submit the case to you on your return.

The "Governor Grey" sailed for Wanganui; cargo, 19 tons flour.

July 31st.

By direction of Captain King, I went to E Waka about a portion of land on Major Lloyd's section, near Wairekaiti. E Waka told me that you had given that land to him and Pita, and that he would write to you on the subject.

August 1st.

Court Day. Captain King not coming into town. The cases were adjourned.

August 2nd.

Shortly before day-break the cutter "William and James", from Manukau, got on the rocks at Paritutu; and in the course of the day, became a total wreck. The only passenger, Mrs. Bishop, was drowned, shortly after striking.

Private Stewart was let down over a precipice of about 25 ft, the only mode of approaching the wreck, in order to recover the body of the unfortunate woman. After some difficulty, he succeeded in extricating it from the wreck, and gave the word to haul up. When within a few feet of the top, with the body in his arms, his head came in contact with a ledge of rock, and compelled him, for his own safety, to let go his hold of the body, which fell into the water and disappeared. Two of the Police remained near the spot, till late in the evening. The Mail was found.

Hakopa returned from the South, and gave me several letters, and a packet, from you; which were delivered.

August 3rd.

At daylight the Police were at Paritutu. Stewart was again let down over the precipice, and made a long and ineffectual search for the body of the late Mrs. Bishop. A few blankets, sheets, and articles of clothing, mostly damaged by the rocks, were picked up by Europeans and natives, and taken to town. Two of the Police remained on the spot. The last returned to Barracks late in the evening.

The "Shepherdess", Swan, from Kafia, - cargo - wheat 300 bushels, maize 600 bushels, and about 400 lbs bacon.

Mrs. Davies died after a long illness.

The duties of the Police continue as usual, and everything here is quiet.

I have the honour to be etc. etc. (Signed)
H. Halse. Sergt
To:- D. McLean Esq. J.P. Inspector of Police.

Part of:
Papers relating to provincial affairs - Taranaki. Inspector of police, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0125 (46 digitised items)
Series 7 Official papers, Reference Number Series 7 Official papers (3737 digitised items)
McLean Papers, Reference Number MS-Group-1551 (30238 digitised items)

Usage: You can search, browse, print and download items from this website for research and personal study. You are welcome to reproduce the above image(s) on your blog or another website, but please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), reproduce the image's caption information and link back to here (http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=1027288). If you would like to use the above image(s) in a different way (e.g. in a print publication), or use the transcription or translation, permission must be obtained. More information about copyright and usage can be found on the Copyright and Usage page of the NLNZ web site.

External Links:
View Full Descriptive Record in TAPUHI

Leave a comment

This function is coming soon.

Latest comments