Object #1014739 from MS-Papers-0032-0015
From: Native affairs - Waitara, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0015 (38 digitised items). Contains official correspondence regarding the competing Waitara claims of Wiremu Kingi Te Rangitake and Te Teira Manuka, and the Taranaki war.Also includes a written series of questions for Archdeacon Octavius Hadfield regarding his knowledge of Te Rangitake to further ascertain the validity of his claim, with reponse from Hadfield.
Page 1 of 2. View high-resolution image
1. The insurgents to lay down their armas and give up or pay for all plunder taken at Taranaki and make reparations for property destroyed.
2. The Governor will grant a general amnesty excluding the murderers of Ford Pagomore Pete Shaw and Parker
(The Murderers to be given up)
The Governor to declare
That in future relations between H. M. Govt. and H. M. Native subjects the following rules will be acted on
1. British law will be carried on in the districts between the Waitara and Tataraimaka without distinction of race.
2. Disputes in reference to Native land to be determined by the Governor or such tribunal as he may appoint.
Page 2 of 2. View high-resolution image
Elsewhere throughout the Colony, all matters civil and criminal, in which Europeans are concerned will be determined by British law. This will also apply to natives placed at their own desire on the same footing as Europeans.
3. Land questions in which any such persons are interested, to be determined by the Govr. in such tribunal as may he may appoint.
4. All cases civil and criminal in which the person or property of an aboriginal native is concerned to be tried (at his request) by a mixed jury.
5. Interference between H. M. Govt. and H. M. Native subjects (by persons not interested in the matter) will not be permitted.
T. G. B. March 16
Native affairs - Waitara, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0015 (38 digitised items)
Series 7 Official papers, Reference Number Series 7 Official papers (3737 digitised items)
McLean Papers, Reference Number MS-Group-1551 (30238 digitised items)
Usage: You can search, browse, print and download items from this website for research and personal study. You are welcome to reproduce the above image(s) on your blog or another website, but please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), reproduce the image's caption information and link back to here (http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=1014739). If you would like to use the above image(s) in a different way (e.g. in a print publication), or use the transcription or translation, permission must be obtained. More information about copyright and usage can be found on the Copyright and Usage page of the NLNZ web site.
View Full Descriptive Record in TAPUHI