Object #1010612 from MS-Papers-0032-0622

2 pages written 20 Jun 1871 by H F Way in Te Teko to Sir Donald McLean

From: Inward letters and diary extracts - H F Way, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0622 (38 digitised items). 36 letters written from Hawke's Bay, Taupo and Bay of Plenty (Maketu), 1869-1876). Includes diary covering events 6 Oct 1869-31 Jul 1870, 1 Sep-31 Oct 1870, HRH Duke of Edinburgh's visit to Rotorua District, 13-19 Dec 1870.

A transcription/translation of this document (by ATL) appears below.

Download alow-resolution PDF or high-resolution PDF

English (ATL)

Private. Te Teko
20th. June 1871.

My dear Mr. McLean,

We have had frightful weather here lately.

On the 6th. of this month, shortly after dark I received a letter from Capt. Preece dated Ruatahuna 2nd. June enlcosing some very important Telegrams - and having no orderly avaible at the time - I took upon myself to convey the Telegrams with the greatest possible despatch to Maketu. I left the Teko at daylight on the 7th. and arrived at Maketu in 8" hours - distance about 40 miles - I left again on the 8th. (blowing a heavy N.E. gale and raining hard) with two Telegrams for Capts. Preece and Mair, and by the time I got to Matata, I was wet through, and a very heavy flood coming down the Rangitaiki.

I arrived at Te Teko on the 9th. my horse having to swim the Oringi Creek - nearly the whole of the road was under water.

I got a special Messenger ready - and promised him Two Pounds (£2) on behalf of the Govt. upon the safe delivery of the Telegrams to Capt. Preece, having rested myself and horse, and changed my wet things - I started with the Messenger for Kararumrum (Fort Galatea) it was very doubtful indeed - if he could get across the Rangitaiki, it being so high.

We left Te Teko at 2 a.m. Saturday morning 10th. inst. pitch dark - and so wet. We arrived at Fort Galatea at 10 a.m. distance 30 miles - and I was so glad to hear the Messenger (Meihana Gname) say that he would cross the Rangitaiki. He took off his clothes, and having tied the Telegrams and his other things safely on his back - he got upon his horse - we shook hands, and at 12 - 5 p.m. I saw him safely across the Rangitaiki (He told me that he hoped to be with Capt. Preece by Tuesday) the rain coming down in torrents -I then sent off an orderly to Rotorua with a Telegram to Mr. Ormond, telling him what I had done - and I left Fort Galatea at the same time for Te Teko - which place I arrived at shortly after dark - wet through, having ridden 60 miles - in 14 hours including 2 hours stoppage at Fort Galatea - and since the 7th. to the 10th. I have ridden close upon 150 miles on one horse - I hope you will not be angry with me for what I have done in forwarding the Telegrams.

I have not since heard from Capt. Preece though I expect a messenger from him at any moment.

Remaining Yours ever sincerely,
Herbert F. Way.

Part of:
Inward letters and diary extracts - H F Way, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0622 (38 digitised items)
Series 1 Inward letters (English), Reference Number Series 1 Inward letters (English) (14501 digitised items)
McLean Papers, Reference Number MS-Group-1551 (30238 digitised items)

Usage: You can search, browse, print and download items from this website for research and personal study. You are welcome to reproduce the above image(s) on your blog or another website, but please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), reproduce the image's caption information and link back to here (http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=1010612). If you would like to use the above image(s) in a different way (e.g. in a print publication), or use the transcription or translation, permission must be obtained. More information about copyright and usage can be found on the Copyright and Usage page of the NLNZ web site.

External Links:
View Full Descriptive Record in TAPUHI

Leave a comment

This function is coming soon.

Latest comments