Object #1010523 from MS-Papers-0032-0540

3 pages written 16 Feb 1855 by John Rogan in New Plymouth District

From: Inward letters - John Rogan, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0540 (40 digitised items). 40 letters written from Awakino, Mokau, New Plymouth, Takatuhi, Whangaroa, Waingohu, Tokatoka (Kaipara), Whakaturai, Auckland, Coromandel, & Sydney (Sep 1858)

A transcription/translation of this document (by ATL) appears below.

Download alow-resolution PDF or high-resolution PDF

Page 2 of 3. View high-resolution image

English (ATL)

cause a serious difficulty between the parties --- Will you please ask Mr. Cooper to write recommending that the question should be settled between themselves.

Since writing the above I received your letters of the 1st Inst. and the instructions therein contained shall have my immediate attention.

Since the last skirmish between Raniera and Katatori in which so many were wounded, it seems to me a change has taken place for the better in the minds of the natives generally and with the exception of te Harana and Mohi, the others would I believe be only too glad to give the matter up. R. Brown the other day proposed a truce for 3 months, to which Katatori and W. Kingi at once assented, but some of Rawiri's party objected, at the same time they were not displeased with the proposal. Much will depend upon Ngatiruanui, should they return again it is impossible to say what they are likely to do. According to the native mode of dealing they have had their fight, and they have no right to return to Waitaha which is a separate question. There is another monster meeting to be held soon at Kaihihi which I suspect has reference more to their confederation against the sale of land, than the New Plymouth question.

With regard to troops I agree with the general opinion here, that they are necessary for the safety of all. Even supposing the present quarrel should die out, the presence of troops in the neighbourhood will serve as a check to any future outbreak and will cause some of the murderous spirits amongst us to pause before blood is spilt again. I should think any number under 400 troops would not be advisable to send, should the Government send any, although that number would be a mere handful a gainst the force that would in my opinion be brought to bear on us, if war were to follow, because I believe we should have the Waitara Natives (except Ihaia) and the various settlements along the Coast as far as the Wariti against us as well as Ngatiruanui and Upper Taranaki, which would probably muster 1200 men. There are about 200 men of the friendly Natives who might be depended upon. The lower Taranakis would look on for a time and join the winner. The Maniapoto natives have no wish for war, and will not interfere unless we are attacked and then only at our particular request. At the same time I have not the slightest apprehension of anything

Page 3 of 3. View high-resolution image

English (ATL)

so serious occurring, because the Government or the Settlers are not likely to commence hostile measures especially in Taranaki.

With regard to Mokau, I am still of opinion that it is not advisable to offer the land for sale, because the greatest part of the land purchased, is very rugged and mountainous and but a small portion along the beach would be available for settlers, there is some good land in the recent offer, but it is effectually cut off from the beach by several very heavy ranges of hills, the only way of approaching it will be by the Mokau which is not ours yet, and I fear Ngataua and Ngaturi would throw every obstacle in our way until it pleases them to change their opinions and sell us the key to the district --- If the Ngatitama question were settled, there would be sufficient available land for all purposes --- Takeni is most anxious to have settlers at the same time he is quite aware of the difficulty existing on account of the land about the Mouth of the Mokau. I think if you allow the Mokau district to stand over for a time a large district may be purchased easily from Wahia and other Chiefs who I believe are favourable to a sale. I have arrange to traverse the North boundary of the last block next spring and the payment is to be made in the summer by that time they will have expended the £500 and will be the more anxious to urge their friends in the interior to sell the opposite side of the Awakino.

I remain,
Very truly yours,
J. Rogan.

English (ATL)

New Plymouth,
16th February, 1855.


My Dear Sir,

The enclosed letter from Matiu of the Horopuriri to Mr. Cooper on the subject of a portion of land set apart for Native selections within the Hua Purchase containing about 90 acres in land of the Native Reserve at Parariti. I am asked to forward --- A sum of £40 has been allowed to the Parariti natives (at the time when the £1000 was divided) for the purchase of land in this locality since which many of the Pararitis have taken part with Katatori and party in the late disturbance, and for this reason it is thought by Matiu Raniera and others, that they have forfeited all claim to the land in consequence. Mr. Cooper has left a memorandum for my guidance and Hone Ropiha is named as one of the parties to devise the list, who entirely agrees with me that it is not advisable to accede to the wishes of the Hua people in the matter lest it should cause a serious difficulty between the parties --- Will you please ask Mr. Cooper to write recommending that the question should be settled between themselves.

Since writing the above I received your letters of the 1st Inst. and the instructions therein contained shall have my immediate attention.

Since the last skirmish between Raniera and Katatori in which so many were wounded, it seems to me a change has taken place for the better in the minds of the natives generally and with the exception of te Harana and Mohi, the others would I believe be only too glad to give the matter up. R. Brown the other day proposed a truce for 3 months, to which Katatori and W. Kingi at once assented, but some of Rawiri's party objected, at the same time they were not displeased with the proposal. Much will depend upon Ngatiruanui, should they return again it is impossible to say what they are likely to do. According to the native mode of dealing they have had their fight, and they have no right to return to Waitaha which is a separate question. There is another monster meeting to be held soon at Kaihihi which I suspect has reference more to their confederation against the sale of land, than the New Plymouth question.

With regard to troops I agree with the general opinion here, that they are necessary for the safety of all. Even supposing the present quarrel should die out, the presence of troops in the neighbourhood will serve as a check to any future outbreak and will cause some of the murderous spirits amongst us to pause before blood is spilt again. I should think any number under 400 troops would not be advisable to send, should the Government send any, although that number would be a mere handful a gainst the force that would in my opinion be brought to bear on us, if war were to follow, because I believe we should have the Waitara Natives (except Ihaia) and the various settlements along the Coast as far as the Wariti against us as well as Ngatiruanui and Upper Taranaki, which would probably muster 1200 men. There are about 200 men of the friendly Natives who might be depended upon. The lower Taranakis would look on for a time and join the winner. The Maniapoto natives have no wish for war, and will not interfere unless we are attacked and then only at our particular request. At the same time I have not the slightest apprehension of anything so serious occurring, because the Government or the Settlers are not likely to commence hostile measures especially in Taranaki.

With regard to Mokau, I am still of opinion that it is not advisable to offer the land for sale, because the greatest part of the land purchased, is very rugged and mountainous and but a small portion along the beach would be available for settlers, there is some good land in the recent offer, but it is effectually cut off from the beach by several very heavy ranges of hills, the only way of approaching it will be by the Mokau which is not ours yet, and I fear Ngataua and Ngaturi would throw every obstacle in our way until it pleases them to change their opinions and sell us the key to the district --- If the Ngatitama question were settled, there would be sufficient available land for all purposes --- Takeni is most anxious to have settlers at the same time he is quite aware of the difficulty existing on account of the land about the Mouth of the Mokau. I think if you allow the Mokau district to stand over for a time a large district may be purchased easily from Wahia and other Chiefs who I believe are favourable to a sale. I have arrange to traverse the North boundary of the last block next spring and the payment is to be made in the summer by that time they will have expended the £500 and will be the more anxious to urge their friends in the interior to sell the opposite side of the Awakino.

I remain,
Very truly yours,
J. Rogan.

Part of:
Inward letters - John Rogan, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0540 (40 digitised items)
Series 1 Inward letters (English), Reference Number Series 1 Inward letters (English) (14501 digitised items)
McLean Papers, Reference Number MS-Group-1551 (30238 digitised items)

Usage: You can search, browse, print and download items from this website for research and personal study. You are welcome to reproduce the above image(s) on your blog or another website, but please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), reproduce the image's caption information and link back to here (http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=1010523). If you would like to use the above image(s) in a different way (e.g. in a print publication), or use the transcription or translation, permission must be obtained. More information about copyright and usage can be found on the Copyright and Usage page of the NLNZ web site.

External Links:
View Full Descriptive Record in TAPUHI

Leave a comment

This function is coming soon.

Latest comments