Object #1009794 from MS-Papers-0032-0485

4 pages written 2 Apr 1871 by John Davies Ormond in Napier City to Sir Donald McLean

From: Inward letters - J D Ormond, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0485 (75 digitised items). 72 letters written from Auckland and Napier, 1871-1872

A transcription/translation of this document (by ATL) appears below.

Download alow-resolution PDF or high-resolution PDF

Page 1 of 4. View high-resolution image

English (ATL)

Napier,

April 2, 1871.



My dear McLean,

The Lord Ashley has at lenght come in, and goes on about noon. I cant tell you how many days she has been stuck at Wellington unable to face the Southerly gale we have had for the last week. There has been no rain but a steady heavy blow and the same at Wellington and all down South. The Luna got away yesterday but will make a long passage to Wellington in face of the sea. There is very little news since my letters posted a day or two ago. I heard from Featherstone last evening that we had postponed leaving until the 3rd May by the Nevada. By letters from Otago I see Bell is trying to arrange with Southern Members supporters of Govt. to agree to John Hall joining as Minister of Public Works and for himself as Speaker. My letters say the proposal about Hail is anything

Page 2 of 4. View high-resolution image

English (ATL)

but satisfactory and looked upon as a great sign of weakness on the part of Govt., and moreover that it is known Hall will like to get the offer to be able to throw it at Ministers in the House but will not accept. It certainly is a great slight to supporters of Ministers to see them going outside the party and will not strengthen you I am sure. There may be little in it but my letters speak of Bell as very busy in the matter - If he is going in for the Speakership it is a pity he should meddle with such matters - it is exactly what is complained of with Munro. There is a Meeting on Tuesday at Takapou about the sale of the Bush but I hear the Natives will stick for twenty thousand pounds whilst my offer is £14,000 and £1,000 for Karaitiana, Peeti and one or two others - I dont really think it is worth more and if they refuse my offer I shall try and purchase the best Blocks; they must sell some land and to that they agree, to pay for survey and advances

Page 3 of 4. View high-resolution image

English (ATL)

and I think with a little management the Blocks we want most can be got. There is a great deal of the Bush that is worthless for any purpose Ruahine and Puke-toi ranges. On the other hand it is very desirable to have the Bush to secure Railroad etc. and I think of trying to meet the demand for increased price by trying if they will not include the rest of the Bush down to Wairarapa. It is true it is not through the Court and that some promise was not made to Rolliston that the Court shd. deal with lands before Govt. shd. buy, but they could be got over, at any rate I mean to risk it and if there is any row it will hot be of much consequence. I am not all sure that Natives will agree to include the lands I refer to - Nor will they sell any of the open land about Puhaetui or thereabouts. I will let you know what I am able to do, after Meeting is over.

Page 4 of 4. View high-resolution image

English (ATL)

Fox writes me that you are mistaken about the Californian Boats calling here - I hope still it may be arranged and if you can do manage to induce the first ship to call - if they tried the place once they wd. get over their objections. When I know the day she ought to be here I will arrange for some steamer prob- bly the Napier to be here to lighter her. The steam launch has arrived by a late vessel from home and will be ready shortly.

You will hear from Hamlin and Clarke all about the Te Waru and Reihana row - Hamlin asked me to get instructions for him and I referred to Fox who was very energetic in his directions I toned them down and whilst encouraging Hamlin to vindicate the Law warned him not to do anything unless it was quite safe to be done well - He telegraphs Waru and Reihana are at Maketu and that case comes on Tuesday. I must close mail going - Always,


Yours very sincerely,
J.D. Ormond.

English (ATL)

Napier,

April 2, 1871.



My dear McLean,

The Lord Ashley has at lenght come in, and goes on about noon. I cant tell you how many days she has been stuck at Wellington unable to face the Southerly gale we have had for the last week. There has been no rain but a steady heavy blow and the same at Wellington and all down South. The Luna got away yesterday but will make a long passage to Wellington in face of the sea. There is very little news since my letters posted a day or two ago. I heard from Featherstone last evening that we had postponed leaving until the 3rd May by the Nevada. By letters from Otago I see Bell is trying to arrange with Southern Members supporters of Govt. to agree to John Hall joining as Minister of Public Works and for himself as Speaker. My letters say the proposal about Hail is anything but satisfactory and looked upon as a great sign of weakness on the part of Govt., and moreover that it is known Hall will like to get the offer to be able to throw it at Ministers in the House but will not accept. It certainly is a great slight to supporters of Ministers to see them going outside the party and will not strengthen you I am sure. There may be little in it but my letters speak of Bell as very busy in the matter - If he is going in for the Speakership it is a pity he should meddle with such matters - it is exactly what is complained of with Munro. There is a Meeting on Tuesday at Takapou about the sale of the Bush but I hear the Natives will stick for twenty thousand pounds whilst my offer is £14,000 and £1,000 for Karaitiana, Peeti and one or two others - I dont really think it is worth more and if they refuse my offer I shall try and purchase the best Blocks; they must sell some land and to that they agree, to pay for survey and advances and I think with a little management the Blocks we want most can be got. There is a great deal of the Bush that is worthless for any purpose Ruahine and Puke-toi ranges. On the other hand it is very desirable to have the Bush to secure Railroad etc. and I think of trying to meet the demand for increased price by trying if they will not include the rest of the Bush down to Wairarapa. It is true it is not through the Court and that some promise was not made to Rolliston that the Court shd. deal with lands before Govt. shd. buy, but they could be got over, at any rate I mean to risk it and if there is any row it will hot be of much consequence. I am not all sure that Natives will agree to include the lands I refer to - Nor will they sell any of the open land about Puhaetui or thereabouts. I will let you know what I am able to do, after Meeting is over. Fox writes me that you are mistaken about the Californian Boats calling here - I hope still it may be arranged and if you can do manage to induce the first ship to call - if they tried the place once they wd. get over their objections. When I know the day she ought to be here I will arrange for some steamer prob- bly the Napier to be here to lighter her. The steam launch has arrived by a late vessel from home and will be ready shortly.

You will hear from Hamlin and Clarke all about the Te Waru and Reihana row - Hamlin asked me to get instructions for him and I referred to Fox who was very energetic in his directions I toned them down and whilst encouraging Hamlin to vindicate the Law warned him not to do anything unless it was quite safe to be done well - He telegraphs Waru and Reihana are at Maketu and that case comes on Tuesday. I must close mail going - Always,


Yours very sincerely,
J.D. Ormond.

Part of:
Inward letters - J D Ormond, Reference Number MS-Papers-0032-0485 (75 digitised items)
Series 1 Inward letters (English), Reference Number Series 1 Inward letters (English) (14501 digitised items)
McLean Papers, Reference Number MS-Group-1551 (30238 digitised items)

Usage: You can search, browse, print and download items from this website for research and personal study. You are welcome to reproduce the above image(s) on your blog or another website, but please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), reproduce the image's caption information and link back to here (http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=1009794). If you would like to use the above image(s) in a different way (e.g. in a print publication), or use the transcription or translation, permission must be obtained. More information about copyright and usage can be found on the Copyright and Usage page of the NLNZ web site.

External Links:
View Full Descriptive Record in TAPUHI

Leave a comment

This function is coming soon.

Latest comments